Thursday, March 7, 2013

Blog #8

the beach
In Honor of spring break I decide to make my picture the beach

Richard Miller

Richard Miller is a professor at Rutgers University and he has two very interesting about writing in the multi media. His videos writing in multi-media talk about how important it is to start writing in the multi-media this way your writing will last and be able to be ready to be read a lot quicker. In his videos he shows how the multi-media works and exactly what all of the positives can be. In the video he explains about how if he were to write an article that it would have to then be published in a newspaper that would then only get delivered if a certain person orders the newspaper then might be thrown in the trash before it is even read. While on the other hand he could post it online and this way it will be ready to read in a matter of minutes and will be saved forever for anyone who wants to read it.

I definitely think I am prepared to write in the multi-media, especially if I want to make sure something can be read by anyone. writing in the multi-media allows someone to be able to link videos and sound to a project other than just pictures and text. With this advantage it not only allows the text to be more engaging but it makes the text get the point across in a clearer way too. With the multi-media it also allows for the up to the minute results instead of sitting and having to wait days or weeks to know what is going on. Anyone who is not prepared to write in the multi-media is not prepared to stay on top of facts with the quickest and most precise way of information.

I definitely will be teaching my students how to write in the multi-media. With me being an english teacher it is even more critical to teach my students the importance of getting their assignments online. This way they can have a bigger audience and hopefully will allow them to be recognized. Also the more that my students know about how the multi-media works the better off they will be in the future, which is ultimately where the employers of the future will be looking.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post 

Carly's Blog is a really good example of working in the multi-media. With her idea to create a youtube playlist of how to be a good teacher it is making people research and select videos online to stream something for the classroom. This is a wonderful idea it helps people understand that websites such as youtube aren't just for fun, that they can be used for a learning experience and to express what matters to certain people. I think Carly has really good ideas for when she becomes an english teacher and I definitely am going to steal the idea of having my students imagine themselves as characters and create their own autobiography. I think Carly understood the assignment perfectly and realizes the importance that multi-media visuals can bring to a writing that just plain text can't.

EDM310 Is Different

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies  are actually two pretty funny videos, that have a serious meaning. I enjoyed watching them because it was an example of every students reaction when they start this class. The videos are a funny joking way to get across the serious matter that to be successful not only in this class but in real life a person has to be dedicated and be able to meet deadlines not procrastinate and be responsible. If i had to make a video about EDM 310 I would like to do a before and after video. Have me before EDM 310 looking spiffy but showing up late to class and disturbing the class by answering my cell phone. I would want the teacher to say that we had something mandatory to do that weekend, but while I'm on the phone say, "oh no, this weekend yeah I'm free nothing planned." then have a montage of a clock and me stressing out over late work then at the end have an after EDM 310 where I look more tired but I arrive in class on time prepared turn my phone off and take solid notes. I think this would be a funny video but would also allow future students that this class will make you focus on school and teach you how to be an organized and scholarly student if you are willing to learn.

Learn to Change and Change to Learn

In Learn to Change and Change to Learn it describes the importance that we need to start emphasizing on education. The U.S. department of Commerce ranked 55 department sectors, and education came in last place. This absolutely blew my mind to know that education ranked last on this board. This video really inspired me to want to be a great teacher and to want to teach my future students not only to do things well but to find out how to do other things well as well. It really just got on my nerves that educating our youth which is the future of america came in last place on this ranking when it should be in the top 5 at least. I strongly recommend watching the video and seeing and hearing for yourself what the country need to do and as teachers what we need to do to make sure that our future is in capable hands.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0

1) The social website I found was edmodo. It is a site where teachers and students can have a virtual classroom. I think that this website could definitely be useful in the future because I am planning on being an english teacher and the website allows you to have a class library. With this Library I will be able to share all the books I assign to my class online so this way they won't have to spend all of there hard earned money to buy them. Also this website allows the teacher to have a class calendar. I also think this is a good idea especially for high school students. I know that while I've been in college having a planned out syllabus has allowed me to better prepare for all of my classes so if my students will be able to know what assignments are coming up it will help reduce procrastination. Also this website allows you to create quizzes and assignments online so I will be able to assign online quizzes for homework or online assignments so no more my dog ate my paper excuses. All in all I think edmodo is a great website and if it is still around I will definitely try and incorporate it in my classes.

3) I found a website to create your own comic strip and I had a lot of fun with it. I decided to create a comic about my everyday life and how my mom is always trying to feed me.

a comic strip
5) So I created a poll on probably the most debatable question there is which drink is better chocolate milk or orange juice. I created the poll using www.PollEverywhere.com and I really would like your feedback on my poll. At first I thought I wasn't going to like doing this scavenger hunt but I had a good time doing it and I'm glad that Dr. Strange added it to the course.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michael! I like how you pointed out that writing in multi-media allows you to put links to further engagement. I didn't think of that and it is a huge plus to writing in multi-media. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...he has two very interesting about writing..." videos should follow interesting

    You could do your video for Project 16!

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete