Friday, February 22, 2013

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student

When I watched The Networked Student all I could think about was how teachers I have are already doing this for me, especially Dr. Strange. The premise of the video is that teachers should not lecture but instead should give their students tools, and let the students learn, on their own how to use these tools. For example The student is in American Psychology but instead of being lectured to he has a networked teacher. Which is a teacher that assigns work to be done by the student himself, on his own time. That the student has to go out and find which sources are important and what interests him. The teacher knowing that as the student does this they are creating a network of connections that they will be able to use for future projects.
people making connections with other people
The thing I like most about this blog post is that it explains step by step how to make these connections. Also it allows the viewer to see the importance of using these connections and technology to not only make studying easier but to become more intelligent. All-in-all I like the idea of a networked student. It allows the student to enter the real world in college and not wait until after they get their degree. What I mean by this is it allows students to learn how to find things out for themselves instead of having someone lecture in their ear how to do it. This way students find the way that works for them best and can reach out to their connections to explain or find out information they learned, or want to learn.

So to answer the question "Are you ready to be a networked teacher?" I think I am halfway there. The reason I say this is because I used to consider myself technologically literate but now that I have been taking Edm310 for 6 weeks I realize I still have a long way to go. However I do think that I can be a networked teacher and I think I can do it well. Every online class I have taken in my life I have made an A in. I think this is a good representation of my Time management skills, my determination to finish what I start, and my ability to meet deadlines. All of which I am positive that I will be able to teach my future students.

PLE or PLN

Watching the video on A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment I realized how easy PLN's can make things be. It has all of your resources on one page ready for you to click on at any moment. I also liked the video because a 12-year-old made the PLE, which is impressive but if someone who is 12 can do it I know I can do it. Comparing her PLE to my PLN, she has more tiles then I do, but I will start adding some more when I make more connections. I liked the video a lot though, because of the end really. She explains how online anyone can make something look creative instead of just artists. Also that using PLN's will cut down the use of pens and paper which is also good for the planet so pretty much they're a win win :). But On a more serious note I think the video was really informative and makes valid points on why a PLN can be useful to anyone.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michael,

    First of all, I love the background for your blog! It looks awesome and I LOVE books. Anyway, I completely agree that through this class I've realized there is so much I didn't know, even though I thought I knew "everything" about technology.

    I also really liked the site the 7th grader used to organize her PLN. And how she explained the way you can make anything look cool through the internet.

    Great post! I really enjoyed reading it. :)

    Katelyn Fleming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher!

    It is amazing what we can learn from 12th graders!

    ReplyDelete