Thursday, February 7, 2013

Special Post #1


A man taken hostage by Cell Phones
WolframAlpha

When I looked up the differences in the population size between India, China, and the United States honestly, I was kind of shocked. I knew that China and India had more people than the United States but I didn't realize how much more. The statistics that WolframAlpha have are based on 2010 records, but in 2010 for every 1 person in the United States, China has 4.39 and India has 3.93. Another interesting fact that I learned was that even though they might have more people the United States citizens live longer. Based on the evidence every Chinese person has an average lifespan of 73.5 years, India's is 69.9 years, and the United States is 78.1 years. (Based on 2009) I'm glad that we were assigned this website because I feel like it will make collecting facts easier. 

This got me thinking since I now know how many people are in the United States I decide to look up how many females there are and how many males, and I found out some interesting stuff. It turns out that according to 2010 that there are more females in the United States then males. Females outnumber males 154.6 million to 149.4 million, however from the ages of 0 to 17 males out number females 37.89 million to 36.15 million. This got me thinking that females must live longer than males in the United States so that was my next question. This gave me the results that in 2009 males live an average of 75.65 years while females live an average of 80.65 years. I was kind of surprised when I found out that on average females live five years longer than males, but it kind of makes since. 

I definitely think that WolframAlpha is a solid website to teach students how to use. It is a credible source for information about any fact that a student could need in writing a paper. I also think that it is a good website for teachers to use as well. One thing I want to bring into my classroom is telling my students random facts. With WolframAlpha this makes doing something as simple as this even simpler. I also think teachers could use this website to look up facts on any presentation that a teacher would need to present and get related facts as well. 

Social Media Count

Gary Hayes social media count is unreal! It is extremely interesting to look at it has everything you could want to know from how many Ipad's are sold every week, how much money the box office brings in every second, to how many World of Warcraft quests are started each year. The information definitely makes me reconsider how I am going to have to teach my classes. After reading this information I am positive that in the near future all kids will be learning on Ipads. Also that kids will be so overwhelmed by liking and commenting on Facebook or sending text messages that if I don't add some sort of technology to m teaching then there will be no way to reach my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment