Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Blog Post #11

Mrs. Cassidy's Classroom
Globe coming out of a computer screen
Mrs. Cassidy is a first grade teacher in Canada who is teaching first graders the importance of technology, and is allowing the students to have fun while learning. In her video First Graders in Mrs. Cassidy's Class she records her students telling about what they learn in the classroom as first graders. The video is really neat it made me understand that these kids genuinely enjoyed learning about this kind of stuff. I also like the fact that she allowed the students to do all of the talking that way it adds more legitimacy then just her preaching about blog posts and wikis.

 Information Coming out of a computer towards a person
In her Skype Interview she talked about some of her techniques she uses in her classroom. The one I will probably use is Blog posts. Being an English major, writing and reading is extremely important. So, when Mrs. Cassidy says that just writing and reading blog posts has improved her kids literacy I definitely think that is something worth doing. I also like the fact, which Mrs. Cassidy points out, that my students posts will be read by people all over the world. This way students can become more excited to write for an audience instead of trying to write for just me. I think though if I land in Mobile County that I might find it a little difficult to get the school board in on it as well. So instead of maybe blogging during class time I will make it a homework assignment and that way I can still teach what the school board wants me too. I think the benefits of this approach will allow students to become better readers and writers, allow parents to be able to follow their kids success whenever they have free time, and hopefully allow Mobile county to realize that maybe teaching with technology is an idea worth trying.

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I am an enthusiastic fan of blogging. I hope you will be a blogging teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael! I too agree that blogging on the classroom is beneficial to students. I think that I would like to use blogging and Skype in the classroom because Mrs. Cassidy's children seemed to enjoy those the most. I also like the fact she made about children having an audience around the world instead of just their instructors. Your conclusion about ending up in the Mobile County school system is sad, but true. We may have difficulties getting certain techniques approved but it is up to us as future educators to use as many resources available to give our students the best education.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete