Saturday, April 13, 2013

Blog Post #12

Two people drunk drivingMy Blog Post Idea

For this assignment I decided that I think that this class should have had an assignment where the students use the internet to find out the dangers of an important topic. Such as drinking and driving, not practicing safe sex, obesity, or gun violence etc. The reason I think this should have been a post is because we are in college and I think it is important for students to do research on their own and find out the facts for themselves. Also, since I plan on being a high school teacher I feel like It applies to them as well.

My Post on My Idea

sign that says don't drink and driveSince April is alcohol awareness month I decided that I would do the dangers of drunk driving. So when I was looking up statistics online I found a website called MADD and it is a pretty cool website that has a bunch of statistics and the option to be able to tweet any that you think are worth hearing. On the site it says that "over 1.41 million drivers were arrested in 2010 for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics." Which I thought was ridiculous that over 1.4 million people were arrested even though there are commercials all over TV and billboards warning people about drunk driving. The next thing I thought was interesting was the site said "The average person metabolizes alcohol at the rate of about one drink per hour. Only time will sober a person up. Drinking strong coffee, exercising or taking a cold shower will not help." I think this was a very important statistic because I know a lot of people believe that certain things can sober them up when in all actuality it can't. I also like this quote because it tells people that one drink takes an hour to metabolize therefore, even though you might feel fine after ten minutes you really aren't. The last statistic I am going to talk about is "In 2010, 211 children were killed in drunk driving crashes." I thought that this was absolutely absurd that 211 children were killed because people thought that it would be ok to drink and drive. That someone would rather risk a kids life then pay a taxi to take them home. I think that if people do this assignment they can find out more facts for themselves and hopefully it will make people think twice before they do something that can not only danger themselves but other people as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment