Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C4T #3

Chalkboard with Quote and a math book
Post #1

This C4T assignment I was assigned to Michael Kaechele, who is a teacher in Michigan. His blog is called Concrete Classroom. In his post he was talking about how he was offering local teachers information about PBL (which is project based learning) and asking for advice on how to make himself better. In his post he said that he was struck to find that all the cared about was if PBL was going to help their students pass tests. Which even as a student myself I can agree that this is a terrible attitude to have when it comes to teaching. These teachers don't care if their students learn all they care about is whether or not they look good at the end of the year. I commented on his blog and I told him to keep up the hard work and hopefully people will start to realize that PBL can help students actually learn not just help them be able to pass tests.

Post #2

I went back to Mr. Kaechele's Concrete Classroom blog and he has now moved his blog to a different website it is still called the Concrete Blog it has just been moved. In his newest post he wrote about the importance of teaching about racism. He says that he hasn't taught his kids about racism yet but it's because he doesn't think they are ready to form their own opinion. He feels like if he assigns it that the students will just use the opinions that their parents have instead of developing an opinion of their own. I commented on his post and I told him I understood his dilemma, because we want to make sure that our students think for themselves especially on big issues such as racism. I also agreed with him that it should be taught as people overcoming adversity and standing up for their rights like the founding fathers did. It shouldn't be taught like these are important black people who did stuff, it should be taught like they are important people it doesn't matter that they're black. I definitely am glad that doctor strange assigned me Mr. Kaechele because I enjoy his post and I recommend that other people read them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment